Monday, August 22, 2011

ASU Food Adventure: Vegetable Salad Sandwhich

I try to make my own food as much as I can to save money, and take what I can to campus. At BYU there were microwaves in nearly every building, so I often took leftover dinners and reheated them there. At ASU, however, the only microwave I've been able to find is in the GPSA building, which is not very convenient. So what I'm trying now is to come up with meals I can make that don't require cooling or heating. The only thing I can think of at the moment are sandwiches, and only the boring kind like turkey slices on white bread.

My first experiment is basically a vegetable salad in a sandwich. I chopped up some green bell pepper, carrots, green onions, lettuce, added some grapes I had at the time, and tossed in some Italian dressing. I put it in a bag to keep it separate from the bread so it's not soggy by the time I eat it. I used Oroweat whole wheat bread.

The end result was...marginally more exciting than turkey on white bread. It was messy, the taste of the vegetables blended together into boring, and the grapes added a nice sweet taste. And I was still hungry.

Was it good? Sa'll right.
Will I make it again? Yes, but only if I tweak it.

No comments:

Post a Comment