Friday, April 5, 2013

The Peace of the Temple



For those of you who do not know what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint's temples are, I first direct you to here. Good? Okay, let's move on.

The Denver temple (Pictured above) is a little over an hour's drive from where I live, but from work it's only about ten minutes. Because of this I try to attend the temple, at the very least, once a month, if not more.
I go because the temple is a place where I can perform saving ordinances in proxy for those who have passed on, and it's a place where I can feel great peace.

I'm far from perfect at this, though. In fact, I'm ashamed to say that many times I've been in an endowment session where I wish it would hurry up and end so I can go home (While most ordinances can be completed in a minute, the endowment takes something like an hour). Granted, since coming straight from work I'm tired and hungry by this point, but that's not an excuse.
However, without fail, every time I enter the Celestial room, all those cares are gone. I feel complete peace and calmness. Not the cry-at-the-podium-during-testimony-meeting kind of feeling, but a simple, complete peace. A peace that I can't find anywhere else. While I may have wanted to go home and rest just a few minutes ago, in the Celestial room I don't want to leave. I don't want to leave behind that peace and go back to the world.

Like the name implies, the Celestial room is a representation of the Celestial Kingdom, the place wherein Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ resides. In other words: Heaven. Except it's more than just a representation. The Temples are built and dedicated as Houses of the Lord, and thus it is the closest you can get to Heaven on this Earth.

If you're a member I invite you to go. If you're not a member I invite you to become one, and enjoy the peace the Temple can offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment